If you are looking for places to walk, and hopefully to lead in our walks programme, then this page has some ideas of places to look for walks.
The West Herts Walk page shows maps of recent walks from our programme. Don't be afraid to repeat walks we have already completed. There are very few paths in the area that we haven't covered at some stage and the scenary changes dramatically with the seasons. To vary the walk change the route slightly to use a few different paths or walk it in the opposite direction. Looking at these walks can be a good guide to car parks and lunch stops we have used in the past.
Consider the Hertfordshire Way, Chiltern Way and Chiltern Heritage Trail walks. Not all of these walks are suitable for group walks, as not all start from parking spots suitable for more than a few cars. Some however would make good group walks and you can adjust or shorten them as you wish.
Books Of Walks In Our Area
The following books contain walks in our area. (Note some may not still be in print)
- 24 Footpath Walks Around St Albans - St Albans Footpath Society *
- 24 Footpath Walks In Hertfordshire - St Albans Footpath Society *
- Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire Pathfinder Walking Guide - Ordnance Survey *
- 50 Walks in Hertfordshire - AA 50 Walks Series
- Chiltern Walks Buckinghamshire - Nick Moon *
- Chiltern Walks Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire - Nick Moon
- Hertfordshire Rambles - Liz Moynihan *
- Village Walks in Hertfordshire - Liz Moynihan *
- Walking In The Chilterns - Steve Davison
- Best Walks in the Chilterns - Roy Woodcock
- 10 Adventurous Walks in the South Chilterns - Raymond Hugh *
- Chiltern Teashop Walks - Jean Patefield *
- Walk for Motorists, Hertfordshire - William Bagley *
- Pub Walks from Country Stations Volume 1 Beds and Herts - Clive Higgs *
- Chiltern Hill Walks - Don Hinson *
- Discovering Country Walks in North London - Merry Lundow *
- Walks in Herts and Essex Vol 3 - Bishops Stortford Footpaths Society *
- Hertfordshire Chain Walk 2nd Edition - East Herts Footpath Society *
* We have copies of the starred books, if you'd like to borrow any of them click here to contact Lynda.
Web Sites With Walks In Our Area
- Walks from Stile Journal
- Chilterns Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Ramblers Routes *
- Walking in Buckinghamshire
- Walking in Hertfordshire
- Walking Britain
- Local Chesham Walks *
- Pete's Walks *
- Fancy Free Walks - Chilterns *
* These sites are not secure.